It’s no secret that I love to travel. Lately Andrew and I haven’t been traveling as far as we have before, but we have been traveling much more frequently. It seems like almost every other weekend we are heading out of town (mostly to Southern California). Even though we’ve been headed to a relatively nearby location, the ability to get out of town has made a HUGE difference in my life.
And here is why: breaking out of your daily routine wakes up your brain.
(Side note: I love daily routines. I believe that daily habits are essential to success.)
However, as great as daily habits are, they can also put your brain into “auto-pilot.”
When you’re on auto-pilot your brain shuts down, atrophies, gets trained to take the path of least resistance. Kinda like if you do the exact same work-out routine everyday. It eventually loses its effectiveness. This is not great for those of us who want to a live a creative, innovative life.
Creativity and Innovation requires a mind that is wide awake, not on auto-pilot.
Traveling is a great way to do that. But even if you can’t get out of town, there are plenty of ways to mix up your routine and wake up your brain.
Here are just a few:
1)Take a different route on your morning commute
2) Order a different drink at your favorite coffee shop or juice bar
3) Attend a tourist attraction in your own town.
4) Go on a walk- take a different route than you normally would
5) Try out a new fitness class at your local gym
6) Or try out an art class at a community center
7) Visit a farmer’s market and don’t be afraid to ask about the stories of the products you buy
8) Wake up an hour earlier- go outside and see what the world looks like when you’re normally asleep
9) Make it a goal to try something new everyday for a week (or every week for a month)
10) Check out meetup.com, go to a meet-up, make a new friend or two
So Tell Me:
1) Have you ever found your brain on auto-pilot?
2) What’s your favorite way to wake up your brain?
3) If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?